Categorized In: Case Services - General Client Services Policies
Approved Date: August 19, 2019
Owner: Vicki Rasmussen
In order to protect the client, the public, and Nebraska Vr's interest, client background screens will be conducted in accordance with the background screening requirements defined herein.
For a Federal Background Check Request: Notate on the VR Criminal Background Check Request form that a Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) search is necessary.
For the purpose of this chapter, criminal history/record includes all charges and convictions including misdemeanors and felonies. This will include information from the:
Staff diligence. Staff must be diligent in obtaining criminal history/record information from the client. Identification of criminal history/record begins during career exploration/planning.
Follow through. Once a background screen request has been submitted, additional information may be needed, (i.e., (paperwork and fingerprints). Follow through on the part of the client and Specialist is important. The referring Specialist should consult with the Office Director prior to cancelling any in-progress background screen request.
A background screen request will be initiated when at least ONE of the following criteria are met:
Acceptance of client responses. Staff should accept responses from clients at “face value.” Background screens will not be conducted for the purpose of verifying client responses.
Staff need to understand how to use criminal charges and convictions as a valuable tool for all clients particularly when clients are interested in the following occupations or settings:
Note: The results of a client background screen can be copied into the QE2 task notes or paper record. Do not forward the NDE Legal Services email to the client’s email address.
For clients under the age of 19, juvenile criminal history/records are not normally researched and reported for background screening purposes. Staff should work with the client and other appropriate contacts in order to obtain delinquency/criminal background information as necessary. However, background screens will reveal adult convictions committed as a juvenile.
Nebraska VR will not perform background screening on behalf of employers. (See Note below for exceptions.) Staff need to explain to employers that, if employers choose to perform a background screen on applicants and employees, the employers are responsible to conduct the background screen on their own and cover the cost.
Note: Payment exceptions for OJEs, CWAs, WBLEs, OJTs, and Certificate Programs.
VR will not perform background screens on behalf of clients who simply wish to obtain information on their background report as a matter of curiosity. Clients can request information from the Nebraska State Patrol at their own expense.
1. Obtain criminal history/record information from client. Staff will gather criminal history/record information from the client during the career exploration/planning process just as other relevant background information is gathered.
2. Begin background screen process if background screen requirements are met.
3. Emailing information to NDE Legal Services.
4. Brenda will initiate an email to DHHS with the client’s valid email address or the VR Specialist’s nebraska.gov email address.
5. DHHS will email the client with a dedicated link to complete the DHHS Registry.
6. The client utilizes the online DHHS portal using the dedicated link provided to the client via an invite received in the client’s email.
7. Clients will be asked to verify their identity online.
8. Out-of-state background results may require additional steps on behalf of the Specialist and the client. When a client lists any state other than the State of Nebraska for residency, an out-of-state background screen will also be conducted as part of the request process. This may require additional paperwork and fingerprints. You will be notified by Brenda Wid with additional instructions if this is a necessary step.
9. NDE Legal Services Office will complete the background check and send to the VR Specialist any and all dates of charges and convictions.
10. The requesting Specialist will document in a Task Note the receipt and the results of the background screen that may affect career exploration/planning.
Add the appropriate background screen service to the client’s QE2 record. The provider will be NE Dept of Education, Box 94987, Lincoln.
Sex Offenders: See: Sex Offender Chapter in VRIS Program Manual for information on working with clients who have a history of sex offense(s).
|November 12, 2018||Show this Archived Version|
|March 08, 2018||Show this Archived Version|
|March 06, 2018||Show this Archived Version|
|February 13, 2018||Show this Archived Version|
|January 30, 2017||Show this Archived Version|
|November 04, 2016||Show this Archived Version|
|November 03, 2016||Show this Archived Version|
|August 03, 2016||Show this Archived Version|