Categorized In: Case Services - Referral to Eligibility
Approved Date: March 02, 2023
Owner: DJ Plautz
Nebraska VR must provide career counseling and information and referral services, as described in §397.40, to individuals with disabilities, regardless of age, or the individual's representative as appropriate, who are known to be employed by an entity at a subminimum wage level.
1. It is the responsibility of the Intellectual/Developmental Disability (I/DD) Service Provider agency (entity holding a special wage certificate under Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) to make the local VR office aware of individuals who need an initial Career Counseling and Information & Referral (CCIR) appointment.
2. The I/DD Service Provider completes and submits a VR Referral for each person who needs CCIR appointment to maintain compliance with DOL Wage and Hour Division.
3. Create a QE2 case for each referral in Information & Referral.
4. CCIR appointment is scheduled and completed.
5. VR staff member enters task note in QE2 documenting the following:
6. CCIR meetings will be provided and the QE2 case is left in Referred status until:
Provide consultation to allow for informed choice, complete Section 511: Refusal to Participate, document case-specific info in QE2, and close referral with exit status aligning closest with the individual's situation.
7. I/DD Service Provider agency will track their own employee data and notify VR staff when subsequent CCIR meetings are due for each individual or initial CCIR is required for new hires.
*If an I/DD Service Provider agency fails to notify VR staff member of required meetings or does not follow through with scheduling CCIR meetings:
A minimum annual task note entry is required for each referral; therefore, it is expected that contact with the associated provider be initiated to identify individuals who have not had a CCIR provided in a timely manner. Encourage scheduling as soon as possible and document this contact in task notes. Carry out the CCIR appointment. If CCIRs continue to be delayed by the provider, document in task note and leave case open for now.
*Refer to Attachment for printable guide for specifics and timelines
Section 511: CCIR Case Review Checklist available to monitor case management within each team.