Categorized In: Case Services - Assessment Services/Planning - Assessment Services
Approved Date: January 23, 2019
Owner: Carla Lasley
Individuals being served in an open priority category who receive SSI or SSDI shall be provided a Benefits Orientation as a part of the career planning process. This information is vital for the client to have in making an informed decision about working, and provides foundational information prior to referral for Benefits Analysis Services.
Individuals in a closed priority category will not receive a Benefits Orientation. Such individuals will be provided Information and Referral, which includes referral to Employment Networks that may provide benefits consultation, as well as the link to the Social Security site which provides information on work incentives for social security beneficiaries.
Enter or update the Benefits and Services screen, as applicable
- Description of the type(s) of Social Security benefits the client receives
- Amount of unearned income the client receives from these benefits
- Number of Trial Work Period [TWP] months the client has used to-date, and the number of months available for use, if applicable
- Start and end date for the Extended Period of Eligibility [EPE], if applicable
- Next Continuing Disability Review [CDR] date
- Types and amounts of other assistance the client receives [e.g., TANF, SNAP, Housing Assistance, energy assistance, etc.]
- How earning at the Federal Benefit Rate [FBR], Substantial Gainful Activity [SGA] rate, or estimated rate the client is likely to earn by working would affect his/her benefits. This provides a frame of reference in the plan development process for the client to make informed decisions about a job goal and hours to work, and is foundational information for use in the provision of Benefits Assessments Services.
- Explain the Ticket To Work program, including rights and benefits related to the assignment of the ticket, so the client can make an informed decision about ticket assignment
NOTE about client refusal of Benefits Services: During the Benefits Orientation, discussion of the importance of receiving Benefits Services is vital. A client who does not understand work incentives may be limiting their ability to maximize income and benefits to reach greater economic self-sufficiency. The Benefits Orientation Specialist and VR Counselor play a key role in educating clients on the importance of accessing Benefits Services. VR staff should discuss that Benefits Services is a service that is free to them, and aids in: 1) identifying and clarifying work incentives and other tools so that needed benefits are retained while maximizing earnings; 2) providing basic support for budgeting earnings and income; 3) addressing concerns with Social Security records found to be incorrect or incomplete; and, 4) providing training and information on the importance of properly reporting earnings. If, given all of this information, the client refuses a Benefits Services referral, the client will sign the refusal form and the refusal will be documented in a Customized Task note, titled, "Benefits Services Refusal" The note will include the reasons why the person refused the service.
Benefits Orientation provides a client a basic overview of their benefits, an explanation of Work Incentives available to them, and information about the Ticket to Work (TTW) program.
The explanation of the Ticket program identifies available supports that enhance the client's ability to work or, if already working, to increase earnings and attain economic self-sufficiency to the greatest extent possible. That explanation includes the following details:
|BP/SSA 3288 Consent for Release of Information - Earnings Eng/Spanish|
|VR/SSA 3288 Consent for Release of Information - General English/Spanish|
|Concurrent Work Incentive Guide 2020|
|Title II: Social Security Disability Insurance Work Incentives Guide - 2020|
|Title XVI: Supplemental Security Income Work Incentives Guide - 2020|
|BP/SSA 3288 Consent for Release of Information - General Eng/Spanish|
|VR/SSA 3288 Consent for Release of Information - Earnings English/Spanish|
|BP/Benefits Orientation Checklist|
|BP/Benefits Services Referral Form|
|Concurrent Work Incentives Guide 2021|
|BP/DHHS Authorization for the Disclosure of Protected Health Information|
|BP/DHHS Authorization for the Disclosure of Protected Health Information-Spanish|
|BP/Documentation of choice of Benefits Services Providers|
|Authorization for Exchange of Information-Multi Agency Release|
|Title II: Social Security Disability Insurance Work Incentives Guide 2021|
|Title XVI Supplemental Security Income Work Incentives Guide 2021|